Ever since web 2.0 was introduced to the world of internet, businesses have flourished at a steady pace. Business owners who recognized the importance of SEO made exponential profits and gave wings to their business. In the days when you were a kid practicing on your balance bike, the world of online marketing wasn’t existence but today times have changed and online marketing for any business has become most important of all.
SEO is an abbreviation for ‘search engine optimization’ and if you have a website for your business, you absolutely need to know about the various aspects of SEO. SEO is an array of techniques that you can employ to get you website to rank higher on the search engines. If you make use of the various SEO techniques as per the search engine algorithms, your website can crawl up the search engine ratings.
When you start using the various SEO techniques, you should keep in mind that it is not possible to get great results overnight and you would need to stay patient to get good results. The competition out there is fierce and it may take a few months before you can see your website on the first page of a search engine for a specific set of keywords.
You should also make sure that you make use of white hat SEO methods rather than black hat SEO methods. Black hat SEO methods like link doping, link baiting and use of hidden content on your website can prove to be fatal in the long run. It does not take long for a search engine to identify use of various black hat methods. Your website could be penalized and you might be thrown out of the first hundred pages on the search engine. Once this happens, your website would need a year or two to recover and make its way back to the top.
Here are a few SEO methods that prove helpful for your website:
- While developing a website, you should make sure that you make the website SEO friendly. The keywords should not be overused and the website should be as neat as possible. This means that you should make use of fresh content on your website. Copied content is a big negative and lowers the reputation of your website in the eyes of search engines. Similarly it is advantageous to use unique page titles instead of irrelevant page titles. Also, it is always good to use short and user-friendly URLs rather than using a URL like ‘http://www.toyshop.com/folder3/108743/x1/04403b.htm’. Such an odd URL would only confuse the user and make him click on the ‘back’ button on the browser till he reaches the original search engine page. Use of proper SEO methods makes your website user-friendly too.
- Link exchanges: Paid links are a big ‘no-no’. On the other hand if you exchange links from a good website that is based on the same topic and theme as your own website, it helps in generating more traffic to your website. Once you start getting more traffic to your website the PageRank automatically goes up and your website gains significant points on the search engine.
- Content: In order to promote a website, you need to write a lot of content and post it over the internet. This is the best way to get people to know about your website and the products or services you provide. Internauts go to a website if they find something impressive about the website on the internet. Therefore you should make sure that you use unique and impressive content and post it on the various article marketing directories over the internet. The keywords should be linked back to the original website. The traffic increases at a fast pace if you post articles on your blog and various marketing directories.
- Social bookmarking: Social bookmarking is one of the oldest SEO methods and helps makes your website’s presence felt over the internet. Similarly directory submission to various websites over the internet it very significant for your website. The users get to read a brief description about your website and can save the required links to your website.
- Social networking: There are a number of public forums and social networking websites where you can meet people from all parts of the world. Promoting your business on these websites is a marketing stint that a large number of SEO experts use. Promoting your website on a social networking website exposes your business to an international market which can eventually give you great returns and can help you make a good amount of dough.
There are a number of other SEO techniques like Pay-per-click, e-mail marketing and sms-marketing but the above mentioned SEO techniques are perhaps the most important techniques to get your website a good rating on the search engines.
The purpose of setting up a website on the internet is to increase visitors and add customers to your customer base. Without using various SEO techniques, this is not possible and therefore various aspects of SEO prove to be very important for a website. Once you start getting traffic to your website, your website would automatically come close to the first page of the search engine. Without the use of various SEO methods it is not possible to get people to know about your website.
When web2 was just introduced, real estate investors made huge profits over the internet. Small businesses turned in large scale businesses just because they got more customers by making use of a website and promoting it in the correct way using SEO properties. As a businessman, you need to understand the importance of having a website and search engine optimization. All you need to do is move on from the days of balance bike rides and find the perfect balancing act between off-line and online marketing.